Sunday, October 5, 2008

Jacquelyn Frank has a contest for an ARC, manga talk and books

I've updated my livejournal blog. Believe me, I post a hell of a lot there about books. And more books. For those who don't know, it is www.shartyrant@livejournal.com. You don't have to be a member to read it or comment. I am still learning blogger. It has some limitations that I am fighthing with like not having a "cut" feature where you can put spoiler or pics behind so those who want to avoid them can by not clicking on that link in the post. Blogger needs that ability.


Passing on some news for my fellow book nuts: Jacquelyn Frank http://www.jacquelynfrank.com/series.html, author of bestselling series of the Nightwalkers (the newest release Nightwalkers: Noah is on shelves now) is holding a contest for her new upcoming release Ecstacy which is the first book of her new Shadowdweller series. http://authorsafterdark.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-york-times-diva.html
All you need to do is make a comment on that blog entry to be entered.

In other news, I just finished 3 books I got from the store yesterday. Two were mangas. Very disappointed with those. It was romance drama oriented which I usually don't enjoy as well as the ones that have humor, action or paranormal in it. Go figure. It had some humor, but seemed so cruel on some of humor jokes. It is about a 16 year old high school student who desperately wants a boyfriend, but can't get one (there is a reason for that as explained later in the books). She gets so desperate that she takes up an offer to order a "figure" (think android like) boyfriend from online. Problem is, after 3 days, if she still has him, she owes a million dollars to the company! Plus, the figure, Night, is of the "night love series" which means that he is more than willing to lose the clothes (No worries, no nudity in it is really shown). The theme on the back cover reminded me of Clamps' Chobits series which I enjoyed so I was willing to give it a whirl. The art was decent, but the story never really grabbed me. I thought Night was creepy as a boyfriend. Not because of him not being human, but his actions. He also came across as too innocent and naive that he came across as younger than the girl which creeped me out even more. Ugh. It had a lot of the high school drama with girls and boys being cruel to each other which isn't enjoyable for me to watch. Mainly because I was like "slap that girl"! "Beat that boy who is being such a jerk!"

*sigh* I am so violent when reading. I will be taking the two graphic novels to the used bookstore for trade credit or selling it on ebay.


I am now reading In The Serpent's Coils by Tiffany Trent. http://www.tiffany-trent.com/writing.html It is YA (young adult) dark fantasy historical fiction with fairies. I am enjoying it. It fits with the "Halloween mood" I am enjoying.

"Fairies can be downright dangerous!In the Serpent's Coils marks the debut of Hallowmere, a dark, edgy historical fantasy series. Ever since her parents died in the Civil War, Corrine's dreams have been filled with fairies warning her of impending peril. When she's sent to live at Falston Manor, she thinks she's escaped the danger stalking her. Instead the dreams grow stronger, just as girls begin disappearing from school. "

That's it for now as the buzzer has just let me know the food is done and I hunger. Definitely check out the links supplied for some cool books and contests!

No comments: